The Town of Glocester is located in northwestern Rhode Island. It is bordered on the north by Burrillville, on the east by Smithfield, on the south by Scituate and Foster, and on the west by Killingly and Putnam, Connecticut. It is connected to these various other communities by Route 44, which runs east-west, and by Route 102, which runs north-south. The state capital, Providence, is approximately 35 minutes to the east.
Glocester is basically a rural community, dotted throughout by lakes and ponds. Several of these bodies of water are part of the Providence Water Supply System. Much of the northern portion of the town is set aside as state-owned parks and forests. The highest point in Glocester, and second highest point in the state of Rhode Island, is Durfee Hill at 804′.
Glocester (originally “Gloucester”) was established in 1639, just three years after Roger Williams founded Rhode Island’s first settlement at Providence. The land was “disposed of to Roger Williams and his associates by the sachems of local Indian tribes, who received payment that the sachems deemed satisfactory.”
On March 16, 1730/31, the Town of Glocester was separated from Providence and organized as the Town of Glocester. It derived its name Frederick Lewis, Duke of Gloucester, who was the son of King George II of England. On April 16, 1806, Old Glocester was divided in half, with the southern half retaining the original name and the northern half being called Burrillville.
The Town of Glocester is governed by a five-member Town Council which meets on the first and third Thursdays of each month at 7:30 pm at the Town Hall in Chepachet. Its fiscal year begins July 1. The Town Financial Meeting is held on the first Saturday following the first Friday in May. Elections are held in November in even years.
COAT OF ARMS
“Glocester’s coat of arms appears with three red arrowheads divided by three red chevrons upon a golden shield. This device is based on the arms of Gloucester, England, which uses three red chevrons. The arms of the ancient family of Clare, who were Earls of Gloucester, made the distinction by the addition of ten torteaux